In early January we had the opportunity to photograph The Nelson Mandela Park Public School in Toronto, Ontario. Previously known as Park Public, the school renamed in honour of Nelson Mandela on November 17th, 2001. The school originally opened on April 5, 1853 and only contained four classrooms. Now, almost 161 years later, this school is the oldest in Toronto that is still standing on it’s original site.
This project was designed by CS&P Architects and designed it to be a highly integrated community centre. This aspiring revitalization project concentrated on the transformation from the historic building to the now modern extension. In conjunction with the new City of Toronto Community Centre and Employment Centre (also designed by CS&P), these additions to the school include a new City of Toronto Community Child Care Centre.